Saturday 3 July 2010

wish

1 We can use wish + infinitive to mean want. Wish is more formal.

  • I wish to see the manager, please.


2 We can also use wish to express regrets — to say that we would like things to be different.
We use a past tense with a present meaning in this case.

I wish + subject + past tense




  • I wish I was better-looking.

  • I wish I spoke French.

  • I wish I had a yacht.

  • I wish it wasn't raining.


In a formal style, we can use were instead of was after I wish.

  • I wish I were better-looking. (formal)


We can say I wish . . . would (but not I wish . . . will).

  • I wish she would be quiet.

  • I wish something interesting would happen.


To talk about the past, we use a past perfect tense (had + past participle).

I wish + subject + past perfect




  • I wish I had gone to university.

  • I wish I hadn't said that.


If only is used in the same way.

3 We do not use wish in progressive tenses.

  • I wish I knew why. ( NOT I am wishing . . .)

No comments:

Post a Comment