Thursday 8 July 2010

mind

Mind can mean 'dislike', 'be annoyed by', 'object to'. We use mind mostly in questions and negative sentences.

  • I don't mind you coming in late if you don't wake me up.

  • Do you mind the smell of tobacco?' 'Not at all.'


Do you mind . . . ? and Would you mind . . . ? are often used to ask for permission, or to ask people to do things.
We can use -ing forms or if-clauses.

Do you mind/Would you mind. .. -ing. .. ?




  • Would you mind opening the window? (= Please open the window.)

  • Would you mind my opening the window? (= Can / open the window?)

  • Do you mind people smoking in the kitchen?


Do you mind/Would you mind if... ?




  • Would you mind if I opened the window?

  • Do you mind if people smoke in the kitchen?

  • Do you mind if I smoke?' 'No, please do.


'Note that the answer 'No' is used to give permission after Do you mind ...?
(I don't mind
means 'I have nothing against it; it's all right'.)

No comments:

Post a Comment