Monday 5 July 2010

get:noun, adjective, adverb particle or preposition;object, verb-form

A. get + noun, adjective, adverb particle or preposition


Get is a very common word in spoken English.
It is usually informal, and structures with get are not so common in writing.

Get has different meanings — it depends what kind of word comes after it.

1 get + noun/pronoun

Before a noun or pronoun, get usually means 'receive', 'fetch', 'obtain' or something similar.

  • I got a letter from Lucy this morning.

  • Can you come and get me from the station when I arrive?

  • I'm going out to get some bread


2 get + adjective

Before an adjective, gef usually means 'become'.

  • As you get old your memory gets worse.

  • My feet are getting cold.


We can use   get + object + adjective ( = 'make something become ...').

  • I can f get my hands warm

  • We must get the house clean before Mother arrives.


3   get + adverb particle or preposition

Before an adverb particle (like up, away, out) or a preposition, get nearly always refers to a movement.

  • I often get up at five o 'clock.

  • I went to see him, but he told me to get out

  • Would you mind getting off my foot?


We can use the structure with an object, to talk about making somebody/ something move.

  • You can't get her out of the bathroom in the morning.

  • Would you mind getting your papers off my desk?

  • Have you ever tried to get toothpaste back into the tube?


B.  get (+ object) + verb-form


1 After get, we can use an object with an infinitive or -ing form.

get + object + infinitive




  • I can't get the car to start


get + object + -ing form




  • Don t get him talking about his illnesses, please.


We often use the structure with the infinitive to talk about persuading somebody to do something.

  • Get John to help us, if you can.

  • I can't get that child to go to bed.


We can use get + object + past participle with a passive meaning to talk about arranging for jobs to be done.

  • I must get my hair cut

  • You ought to get your watch repaired


We can use get instead of be to make passive structures.
We often do this when we are talking about things that happen by accident or unexpectedly.

  • My watch got broken while I was playing with the children.

  • He got caught by the police driving at 160km an hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment