Thursday 15 July 2010

Friends


acquaintance: a person you have met but don't know very well

  • An acquaintance of mine works in your office.


boyfriend: a male who is someone's romantic interest

  • Are you bringing your boyfriend to the party?


classmate: a person who is in the same class with someone at school

  • The school is so big, I don't even know all of my classmates.


colleague: a person someone works with professionally

  • All of my colleagues agree with the new plan.


companion: a friend someone spends a lot of time with or lives with

  • They are good companions; they go everywhere together.


coworker: a person who works in the same place as someone

  • She cannot get along with any of her coworkers.


fiance: a male to whom someone is engaged to be married

  • He gave her a diamond ring, so now he's her fiance.


fiancee: a female to whom someone is engaged to be married

  • She has been his fiancee for five years.


friend: a person you know and like

  • She has a lot of friends here.


girlfriend: a female who is someone's romantic interest

  • I can't bring my girlfriend, because she lives in another city.


partner:
a companion

  • Her partner works at the local nursery


a person who co-owns a business with someone

  • My doctor is out of town, but his partner will see me.


roommate: a person someone shares a room with

  • We have a big room at college, so I have two roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment