Tuesday 13 July 2010

Although / though / even though, In spite of / despite

After although we use a subject + verb:'



  • Although it rained a lot, we enjoyed our holiday.

  • I didn't get the job although I had the necessary qualifications.


Compare the meaning of although and because:

  • We went out although it was raining.

  • We didn't go out because it was raining.


After in spite of or despite, we use a noun, a pronoun (this/that/what etc.) or -ing:



  • In spite of the rain, we enjoyed our holiday.

  • I didn't get the job in spite of having the necessary qualifications.

  • She wasn't well, but in spite of this she went to work.

  • In spite of what I said yesterday, I still love you.


Despite is the same as in spite of. We say in spite of, but despite [without of):

  • She wasn't well, but despite this she went to work.(not despite of this)


You can say in spite of the fact (that) ... and despite the fact (that) ... :

  • I didn't get the job in spite of the fact (that) I had the necessary qualifications.
    I didn't get the job despite the fact (that) I had the necessary qualifications.


Compare in spite of and because of:

  • We went out in spite of the rain, (or ... despite the rain.)

  • We didn't go out because of the rain.


Compare although and in spite of / despite:



  • Although the traffic was bad,/In spite of the traffic, we arrived on time,
    (not
    In spite of the traffic was bad)

  • I couldn't sleep, although I was very tired./despite being very tired.
    (not
    despite I was tired)


Sometimes we use though instead of although:



  • I didn't get the job though I had the necessary qualifications.


In spoken English we often use though at the end of a sentence:

  • The house isn't very nice. I like the garden though. (= but I like the garden)

  • I see them every day. I've never spoken to them though. (= but I've never spoken to them)


Even though (but not 'even' alone) is a stronger form of although:

  • Even though I was really tired, I couldn't sleep, (not Even I was really tired ...)

No comments:

Post a Comment