Monday 12 July 2010

still, yet, already

A. Still


An hour ago it was raining.
The rain hasn't stopped
It is still raining now.

still = something is the same as before:

  • I had a lot to eat but I'm still hungry. (= I was hungry before and I'm hungry now)

  • 'Did you sell your car?'   'No, I've still got it.'

  • 'Do you still live in Barcelona?'   'No, I live in Madrid now'


B yet


Twenty minutes ago they were waiting for Bill.
They are still waiting for Bill.
Bill hasn't come yet.

yet = until now:

We use yet in negative sentences (He hasn't come yet.) and in questions (Has he come yet?).
Yet
is usually at the end of a sentence:

  • A: Where's Diane?
    B: She isn't here yet. (= she will be here but until now she hasn't come)



  • A: What are you doing this evening?
    B: I don't know yet. (= I will know later but I don't know at the moment)



  • A: Are you ready to go yet?
    B: Not yet. Wait a moment. (= I will be ready but I'm not ready at the moment)



  • A: Have you finished with the newspaper yet?
    B: No, I'm still reading it.


Compare yet and still:

  • She hasn't gone yet. = She's still here, (not 'She is yet here')

  • I haven't finished eating yet. = I'm still eating.


C already = earlier than expected:



  • 'What time is John arriving?'    'He's already here.' (= earlier than we expected)

  • 'I'm going to tell you what happened.'   'That's not necessary. 1 already know'

  • Ann doesn't want to go to the cinema. She has already seen the film.

No comments:

Post a Comment