Friday 2 July 2010

can: permission, offers, requests and orders

1 Permission

We use can to ask for and give permission.

  • Can I ask you something?' 'Yes, of course you can.'

  • Can I have some more tea?    You can go now if you want to.


We also use could to ask tor permission. This is more polite or formal. Could I ask you something, if you're not too busy?

May and might are also possible in formal and polite requests for permission. (See 200.)

May I have some more tea?

2 Past permission

We use could to say that we had 'general' permission to do something at any time.

When I was a child, I could watch TV whenever I wanted to. But we don't use couldXo talk about permission for one particular past action.

/ was allowed to see her yesterday evening. (not / could see ...) (This is like the difference between could'and was able to. See 78.3.)

3 Offers

We use can when we offer to do things for people.

Can I carry your bag?' 'Oh, thanks very much.' 7 can baby-sit for you this evening if you like.' 'No, it's all right, thanks.'

4 Requests

We can ask people to do things by saying
Can you . . .
?
or Could you . . . ? (more polite);
or Do you think you could . . . ?




  • Can you put the children to bed?' 'Yes, all right.'

  • Could you lend me five pounds until tomorrow?' 'Yes, of course.'

  • Do you think you could help me for a few minutes?' 'Sorry, I'm afraid I'm busy.'


5 Orders

We can use you can/could to tell people to do things.

  • When you've finished the washing up you can clean the kitchen. Then you could iron the clothes, if you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment