Wednesday 7 July 2010

-ing form after to

We sometimes use an -ing form after to.

  • I look forward to seeing you. (NOT . . . to see you.)

  • I'm not used to getting up early.


These structures may seem strange. In fact, to is two words:

a. a part of the infinitive

  • I want to go home.

  • Help me to understand


b. a preposition

  • I look forward to your next letter.

  • I prefer meat to fish.

  • I'm not used to London traffic.


After the preposition to, we can use an -ing form, but not usually an infinitive.

  • I look forward to hearing from you.
    (NOT . . . to hear from you.)

  • I prefer riding to walking.

  • I'm not used to driving in London.


If you want to know whether to is a preposition, try putting a noun after it.

  • a. I want to your letter. (Not possible: to is not a preposition. Use the infinitive after I want.)



  • b. I'm looking forward to your letter. (This is all right, so to is a preposition. Use the -ing form after look forward to.)

No comments:

Post a Comment