Saturday 1 May 2010

I

I didn’t catch your name. No one told me

your name [or I have forgotten it]. (A

carrying on of a conversation that has

just started—if one hasn’t been intro-

duced properly—or simply finding out

someone’s name.) I’m sorry, but I did-

n’t catch your name. I’m Wally Ott. I

didn’t catch your name.

I just have this feeling I have a premoni-

tion about this; I have a strange feeling

about this. I really don’t know that

something is wrong. I just have this feeling.

I just have this feeling that she is not

telling us the truth.

if looks could kill <a catch phrase said

when someone makes a frown at some-

one or when someone casts a dirty look.>

Did you see the way she looked at me?

If looks could kill.... If looks could kill.

What a nasty glare.

if not if that is not [the case]; if that is not

so. If not cleaned, the clock will stop

running. He should be here at noon. If

not, we will eat without him.

if push comes to shove if the situation

really becomes difficult; if matters esca-

late into a strong argument. (See also

when push comes to shove.) If push

comes to shove, I am ready to be more ag-

gressive. If push comes to shove, I am

sure that our senator will help out.

if so if that is [the case]; if that is so.

might be late. If so, we will eat without her.

She is supposed to be all right. If so, we

have nothing to worry about.

if worst comes to worst in the worst pos-

sible situation; if things really get bad.

If worst comes to worst, we’ll hire some-

one to help you. If worst comes to worst,

I’ll have to borrow some money.

ill at ease uneasy; anxious. I feel ill at

ease about the interview. You look ill at

ease. Please relax.

ill-disposed to doing something not friendly;

not favorable; not well disposed. I am

ill-disposed to doing hard labor. The po-

lice chief was ill-disposed to discussing the

details of the case to the news reporters.

I’ll drink to that! I agree with that! (In-

formal. As if joining in with drinks fol-

lowing a toast.) Great idea! I’ll drink

to that.  That’s a fine suggestion. I’ll

drink to that.

ill-gotten gains money or other posses-

sions acquired in a dishonest or illegal

fashion. Fred cheated at cards and is

now living on his ill-gotten gains. Mary

is also enjoying her ill-gotten gains. She de-

ceived an old lady into leaving her money

in her will.

I’ll (try to) catch you later. I will try to

talk with you or meet with you at some

future time. (Informal.) I don’t have

time to talk to you now. I’ll try to catch you

later. Hi, I’m leaving. I’ll catch you later.

ill will hostile feelings or intentions. I

hope you do not have any ill will toward

me because of our argument. Dave felt

such ill will toward his family that he left

his fortune to his best friend.

(I’m) sorry. <an expression used to excuse

oneself politely or apologize, especially

when one has collided with someone,

when one has offended someone, or to

ask someone to repeat what has been

said.> “I’m sorry,” I said to the woman

I bumped into. I’m sorry, what did you

say? I couldn’t hear you.

I’m terrible at names. and I’m awful at

names. I can’t seem to remember any-

one’s name. (Said as an apology to some-

one whose name you have forgotten.)

I’m terrible at names. Please tell me yours

again. Haven’t we met already? I’m aw-

ful at names.

Imagine that! Is that so?; How interesting

and strange! (Said when one hears some-

thing that is interesting. Often sarcastic.)

Fell out of bed. Imagine that! She’s

late again. Imagine that!

implicate someone (in something) to suggest

that someone is involved in something.

The mayor was implicated in the mur-

der. Jane’s essay implicated her teacher

in the cheating scandal.

in a bad mood sad; depressed; grouchy;

with low spirits. He’s in a bad mood.

He may yell at you. Please try to cheer

me up. I’m in a bad mood.

in a bad way in a critical or bad state. (Can

refer to health, finances, mood, etc.)

Mr. Smith is in a bad way. He may have

to go to the hospital. My bank account

is in a bad way. It needs some help from a

millionaire. My life is in a bad way, and

I’m depressed about it.

in a bind and in a jam in a tight or diffi-

cult situation; stuck on a problem. (Note:

In can be replaced with into to show

movement toward or into the state de-

scribed by bind or jam. Especially get

into. See the examples below.) I’m in

a bind. I owe a lot of money. Whenever

I get into a jam, I ask my supervisor for

help. When things get busy around here,

we get in a bind. We could use another

helper.

in accordance with something in agreement

with; in conformity with. In accor-

dance with our discussion, I have prepared

a contract. I did this in accordance with

your request.

in a (constant) state of flux Go to in flux.

in a coon’s age and in a month of Sun-

days in a very long time. (Folksy. Usually

negative. The coon is a raccoon.) How

are you? I haven’t seen you in a coon’s age.

I haven’t had a piece of apple pie this

good in a coon’s age. John hasn’t seen a

movie in a month of Sundays.

in a dead heat [finishing a race] at exactly

the same time; tied. The two horses fin-

ished the race in a dead heat.  They

ended the contest in a dead heat.

in advance [of something given, paid, or

provided] before it is due. The bill is-

n’t due for a month, but I paid it in ad-

vance. I want my pay in advance.

in a family way and in the family way

pregnant. (Informal.) I’ve heard that

Mrs. Smith is in a family way. Our dog

is in the family way.

in a fix in a bad situation. (Informal. In can

be replaced with into. See in a bind and

the examples below.) I really got my-

self into a fix. I owe a lot of money on my

taxes. John is in a fix because he lost his

wallet. John got into a fix.

in a flash quickly; immediately. (Infor-

mal.) I’ll be there in a f lash. It hap-

pened in a f lash. Suddenly my wallet was

gone.

in a fog preoccupied; not paying attention

to what is going on around one; not alert.

Jane always seems to be in a fog.

When I get up, I’m in a fog for an hour.

in a fool’s paradise in a condition of

seeming happiness that will not last be-

cause it is based on false assumptions.

They think they can live on love alone, but

they are living in a fool’s paradise. The

inhabitants of the island feel politically se-

cure, but they are living in a fool’s paradise.

They could be invaded at any time.

in agreement in harmony; agreeing.

business partners were never in agreement

about marketing strategies. Because the

partners were not in agreement, the busi-

ness failed.

in a haze in a state of confusion.

being hit in the head by the bat, Bill was

in a haze. After surgery, I was in a haze

until the anesthetic wore off.

in a jam Go to in a bind.

in a jiffy very fast; very soon. (Slang.)

Just wait a minute. I’ll be there in a jiffy.

I’ll be finished in a jiffy.

in a lather flustered; excited and agitated.

(In can be replaced with into. See in a

bind and the examples below.)

calm down. Don’t be in a lather. I al-

ways get in a lather when I’m late. I get

into a lather easily.

in a little bit in a small amount of time;

soon. I will be there in a little bit. Please

wait. In a little bit, we can go outside

and play.

in (all) good conscience having good mo-

tives; displaying motives that will not re-

sult in a guilty conscience. In all good

conscience, I could not recommend that

you buy this car. In good conscience, she

could not accept the reward. She had only

been acting as any good citizen should.

in all one’s born days ever; in all one’s life.

(Folksy.) I’ve never been so angry in all

my born days. Have you ever heard such

a thing in all your born days?

in all probability very likely; almost cer-

tainly. He’ll be here on time in all prob-

ability. In all probability, they’ll finish

the work today.

in a mad rush in a hurry; frantically.

ran around all day today in a mad rush,

looking for a present for Bill. Why are

you always in a mad rush?

in and of itself itself; considering it alone.

The idea in and of itself is not bad, but

the side issues introduce many difficulties.

Her action, in and of itself, caused us no

problem.

in any case and in any event no matter

what happens. I intend to be home by

supper time, but in any case by eight

o’clock. In any event, I’ll see you this

evening.

in any event Go to in any case.

in a pinch in a situation where there is but

one choice; in a situation where there is

not time to locate another choice.

don’t care for this kind of paint, but it will

do in a pinch. Tom is not the best choice

around, but he will have to do in a pinch.

in a (pretty) pickle and in a real pickle

in a mess; in trouble. (Informal. In can

be replaced with into. See the note at in

a bind and the examples below.)

has gotten himself into a pickle. He has

two dates for the party. Now we are in

a real pickle. We are out of gas.

in a real pickle Go to in a (pretty) pickle.

in arrears overdue; late, especially in ref-

erence to bills and money. This bill is

three months in arrears. It must be paid

immediately. I was in arrears on my car

payments, so the bank threatened to take

my car away.

in a rut Go to (stuck) in a rut.

in a sense in a way; sort of. In a sense,

cars make life better. But, in a sense,

they also make life worse.

in a snit in a fit of anger or irritation.

(Slang. In can be replaced with into. See

the note at in a bind and the examples be-

low.) Mrs. Smith threw on her coat and

left in a snit. Here comes John—in a snit

again—as usual. Don’t get into a snit.

in a split second in just an instant. (In-

formal.) The lightning struck, and in a

split second the house burst into f lames.

Just wait. I’ll be there in a split second.

in a stage whisper in a loud whisper that

everyone can hear. John said in a stage

whisper, “This play is boring.” “When

do we eat?” asked Billy in a stage whisper.

in a stupor in a dazed condition; in a con-

dition in which one cannot concentrate

or think. The drunk driver walked away

from the car accident in a stupor. In the

morning, Mary remains in a stupor until

she drinks coffee.

in a tizzy in an excited and confused con-

dition. John is in a tizzy because we’re

an hour late. Mary was in a tizzy when

she couldn’t find her keys.

in at the kill Go to in on the kill.

in a vicious circle in a situation in which

the solution of one problem leads to a

second problem, and the solution of the

second problem brings back the first

problem, etc. (In can be replaced with

into. See the note at in a bind and the ex-

amples below.) Life is so strange. I seem

to be in a vicious circle most of the time.

I put lemon in my tea to make it sour,

then sugar to make it sweet. I’m in a vi-

cious circle. Don’t let your life get into

a vicious circle.

in awe (of someone or something) fearful and

respectful of someone or something.

Everyone in the country was in awe of the

king and queen. I love my new car. In

fact, I’m in awe of it. When I first saw

the house, I just stood there in awe.

in a word said simply; concisely said.

Mrs. Smith is—in a word—haughty.

a word, the play f lopped.

in bad faith without sincerity; with bad or

dishonest intent; with duplicity. (Com-

pare this with in good faith.) It appears

that you acted in bad faith and didn’t live

up to the terms of our agreement. If you

do things in bad faith, you’ll get a bad

reputation.

in bad sorts in a bad humor; in a bad

mood. Bill is in bad sorts today. He’s

very grouchy. I try to be extra nice to

people when I’m in bad sorts.

in bad (with someone) having someone

against you; having gotten into trouble

with someone. (Informal. Compare this

with in good (with someone).) Sally is in

bad with her parents for failing algebra.

She’s really in bad. She has real trouble.

in behalf of someone and in someone’s be-

half; on behalf of someone; on someone’s

behalf; in someone’s name [doing some-

thing] as someone’s agent; [doing some-

thing] in place of someone; for the ben-

efit of someone. I’m writing in behalf

of Mr. Smith, who has applied for a job

with your company. I’m calling on be-

half of my client, who wishes to complain

about your actions. I’m calling in her

behalf. I’m acting on your behalf.

in between located in the middle of two

things, states, or possibilities. It’s not

hot or cold. It’s in between. A sandwich

consists of two slices of bread with some

other food in between.

in black and white official, in writing or

printing. (Said of something, such as an

agreement or a statement, which has

been recorded in writing. In can be re-

placed with into. See the note at in a bind

and the examples below.) I have it in

black and white that I’m entitled to three

weeks of vacation each year. It says right

here in black and white that oak trees

make acorns. Please put the agreement

into black and white.

in bloom with many flowers; at the peak of

blooming. The garden is beautiful when

it is in bloom. The roses are in bloom

and they smell so sweet!

in blossom with many flowers opening; in

bloom. The peonies are in blossom early

this spring. If the daffodils are in blos-

som, spring is on the way.

in brief briefly; concisely. The whole

story, in brief, is that Bob failed algebra be-

cause he did not study. Please tell me in

brief why you want this job.

in bulk in large quantities or amounts,

rather than smaller, more convenient

quantities or amounts. Jane always

bought office supplies in bulk to save

money. Dave purchased cereal in bulk

because his family used so much of it.

in cahoots (with someone) in conspiracy

with someone; in league with someone.

(Folksy.) The mayor is in cahoots with

the construction company that got the con-

tract for the new building. Those two

have been in cahoots before.

No comments:

Post a Comment