Friday 14 May 2010

do and make

These words are very similar but there are some differneces

1. We use do when we do not say exactly what activity we are talking about-
for example with something, nothing, anything, everything,what.

  • Do something! I like doing nothing

  • What shall we do? Then he did a very strange thing


2. We use do when we talk about work and in the structure do -ing

  • I'm not going to do any work today. I'm going to do some reading.

  • I dislike doing housework. I hate doing the cooking and shopping.

  • Would you like to do my job.


3. We often use make to talk about constructing building, building, creating etc

  • I've just made a cake. Let's make a plan.

  • My father and I once made a boat.


4, Learn these expressions

  • do good/ harm/ business/ one's best/ a favour

  • make an offer/ arrangements/ suggestion/ a decision/
    an attempt/ an effort/ an excuse/ an exception/ a mistake/
    a noise/ a journey/ a phone call/ money/ a profit/ love/ peace/
    war/ a bed

  • .......

No comments:

Post a Comment