Monday 17 May 2010

every and every one

1. We use every before a singular noun

every + singular noun

  • I see her every day (NOT... every days)

  • Every room is being used


2. We use every one of before a pronoun or determiner (for example the, my, these). The pronoun or noun is plural

every one of us/you/them
every one of + determiner + plural noun


  • His books are wonderful. I've read every one of them

  • Every one of the plates is broken


3. We can use every one without a noun

  • Every one is broken

  • I've read every one


4. Every is used with a plural noun in expressions like every three days, every six weeks

  • I go to Italy every six weeks


5. Everybody, everyone and everything are used with singular verbs, like every.

  • Everybody has gone home (NOT Everybody have...)

  • Everything is ready.

2 comments: