Monday 10 May 2010

Verb Phrase K




















































































keep * aroundhave handy, have accessibleI always keep a dictionary around to translate new words.
keep at +not give up (an activity), to persevereYou should keep at your studies.
keep * awayprevent access to, hold backKeep the kids away from the cookies.
keep * backmaintain a safe distance, cause to maintain a safe distanceKeep back! The burning building is about to collapse.
keep * downnot vomit, not throw up, keep in one's stomachIf I ate that, I down know if I could keep it down.
keep * inkeep in a particular place, have something in a specific locationWhen I am not using it, I keep my passport in this drawer.
keep * offprevent from stepping or climbing on to somethingKeep the cat off the couch.
keep oncontinueHe kept on talking after everybody asked him to stop.
keep * outprevent from enteringKeep the dog out of the garden; he keeps digging up the flowers.
keep * overcover something with, put something aboveI keep a tarp over my bicycle at night to prevent it from getting wet.
keep to +continue, persist in (an activity)Everybody said she would never finish the puzzle, but she kept to it until it was done.
keep upstay on the required scheduleYou have to keep up if you want to work here.
keep * up +continueYou are doing a great job! Keep it up.
keep up with +stay on schedule with (a person, the workload, homework)I have so much reading that I can't keep up with the writing exercises.
kick backsit or lie back (to relax)After work, I like to kick back in front of the TV and relax.
kick inbegin taking effectThe medicine takes one hour to kick in.

No comments:

Post a Comment