Saturday 8 May 2010

used to + infinitive, -ing, noun

I. used to + infinitive



  1. used to + infinitive is only used in the past: it has no present form.
    We use it to talk about past habits and states which are now finished'



  • I used to smoke, but I've stopped

  • She used to be very shy.



  1. To talk about present habits and states, we usually just use the simple present tense



  • He smokes. (not He uses to smoke)

  • Her sister is still very shy.



  1. In a formal style, used to can have the forms of a modal auxiliary verb (question and negatives without do)



  • Did you use to play football at school? (informal)

  • Used you to play football at school? (formal)

  • I didn't use to like Opera, but now I do (informal)

  • I used not to like opera, but now I do (formal)
    (A contracted negative is possible: I usedn't  to )



  1. We do no use used to say how long something  took, or how often if happend



  • I lived in Chester for three years
    (not I used to live in Chester for three years)

  • I went to France seven times
    (not I used to go to France seven times)


II. (be) used to + noun or -ing



  1. After be used to, we use a noun or an -ing

  2. The meaning is quite different form used to + infinitive

  3. If you say that you are used to something, you mean that you know it well
    You have experienced it so much that it is no longer strange to you


be used to + noun

  • I'm used to London traffic - I've lived here for six years

  • At the beginning. I couldn't understand the Londoners, because I wasn't used to the accent


be used to +V- ing

  • I'm used to driving in London now, but it was hard at the beginning
    (NOT I'm used to drive..)

  • It was long time before she was completely used to working with old people

No comments:

Post a Comment