Monday 3 May 2010

T

table the motion to postpone the discus-

sion of something during a meeting.

Mary suggested that they should table the

motion. T The motion for a new policy

was tabled until the next meeting.

tag along to go along with or follow some-

one, often when uninvited or unwanted.

Lisa always tags along when Tim and

Sally go out on a date. I took my chil-

dren to the zoo and the neighbor’s children

tagged along.

the tail wagging the dog a situation where

a small part is controlling the whole

thing. John was just hired yesterday, and

today he’s bossing everyone around. It’s a

case of the tail wagging the dog. Why

is this small matter so important? Now we

see the tail wagging the dog!

take a backseat (to someone) to defer to

someone; to give control to someone.

I decided to take a backseat to Mary and

let her manage the project. I had done

the best I could, but it was time to take a

backseat and let someone else run things.

take a bath Go to take a shower.

take a bath (on something) to have large fi-

nancial losses on an investment. (Slang.)

I took a bath on all my oil stock. I should

have sold it sooner. I don’t mind losing

a little money now and then, but I really

took a bath this time.

take a bow to bow and receive credit for

a good performance. At the end of the

concerto, the pianist rose and took a bow.

The audience applauded wildly and de-

manded that the conductor come out and

take a bow again.

take a break and take one’s break to have

a short rest period in one’s work.

ten o’clock—time to take a break. I don’t

usually take my break until 10:30.

take a chance and take a risk to try

something where failure or bad fortune

is likely. Come on, take a chance. You

may lose, but it’s worth trying. I’m not

reckless, but I don’t mind taking a risk now

and then.

take a course (in something) to enroll in a

course and do the required work. I de-

cided to take a course in history. Bob

drives into the city where he is taking a

course.

take a crack at something to have a try at

something; to give something a try. (Infor-

mal.) I don’t think I can convince her

to leave, but I’ll take a crack at it. Some-

one had to try to rescue the child. Bill said

he’d take a crack at it.

take a dig at someone and take digs at

someone to insult someone; to say some-

thing that will irritate a person. (Slang.)

Jane took a dig at Bob for being late all

the time. Jane is always taking digs at

Bob, but she never really means any harm.

take a dim view of something to regard

something skeptically or pessimistically.

My aunt takes a dim view of most things

that young people do. The manager took

a dim view of my efforts on the project. I

guess I didn’t try hard enough.

take advantage of someone or something 1.

[with someone] to cheat or deceive some-

one. The store owner took advantage of

me, and I’m angry. You must be alert

when you shop to make sure that someone

doesn’t take advantage of you. 2. to utilize

someone or something to one’s own ben-

efit. Jane can be of great help to me, and

I intend to take advantage of her. Try

to take advantage of every opportunity

that comes your way.

take a fancy to someone or something and

take a liking to someone or something; take

a shine to someone or something to develop

a fondness or a preference for someone

or something. (Folksy.) John began to

take a fancy to Sally late last August at the

picnic.  I’ve never taken a liking to

cooked carrots. I think my teacher has

taken a shine to me.

take after someone to resemble a close,

older relative. Don’t you think that Sally

takes after her mother? No, Sally takes

after her Aunt Ann.

take a gander (at someone or something) to

examine someone or something; to take

a look (at someone or something). (Slang.)

Hey, will you take a gander at that fancy

car! Drive it over here so I can take a

gander.

take a hand in something to help plan or do

something. I was glad to take a hand

in planning the picnic. Jane refused to

take a hand in any of the work.

take a hard line (with someone) to be firm

with someone; to have a firm policy for

dealing with someone. The manager

takes a hard line with people who show up

late. This is a serious matter. The po-

lice are likely to take a hard line.

Take a hike! Go to Go climb a tree!

take a hint to understand a hint and be-

have accordingly. I said I didn’t want to

see you anymore. Can’t you take a hint? I

don’t like you. Sure I can take a hint, but

I’d rather be told directly.

take (a)hold of someone or something and get

(a)hold of someone or something to get in

control of someone or something. (Also

literal.) Take hold of yourself! Calm

down and relax. She took a few minutes

to get hold of herself, and then she spoke.

take aim (at someone or something) 1. to aim

(something) at someone or something.

The hunter took aim at the deer and pulled

the trigger. You must take aim carefully

before you shoot. 2. to prepare to deal

with someone or something. Now we

have to take aim at the problem and try

to get it solved. He turned to me and

took aim. I knew he was going to scold me

severely.

take a leaf out of someone’s book to be-

have or to do something in the way that

someone else would. When you act like

that, you’re taking a leaf out of your sis-

ter’s book, and I don’t like it! You had

better do it your way. Don’t take a leaf out

of my book. I don’t do it well.

take a licking Go to get a licking.

take a liking to someone or something Go to

take a fancy to someone or something.

take a load off one’s feet Go to get a load

off one’s feet.

Take a long walk off a short pier. and

Go play in the traffic. Get out of here!;

Go do something that will get you per-

manently out of here! Get out of here!

Take a long walk off a short pier! You

bother me. Go play in the traffic.

take a look (at someone or something) to ex-

amine (briefly) someone or something.

(Also with have, as in the example be-

low.) I asked the doctor to take a look

at my ankle that has been hurting. “So

your ankle’s hurting,” said the doctor.

“Let’s take a look.” Please have a look

at my car. It’s not running well.

take a look for someone or something and

have a look for someone or something to

make a visual search for someone or

something; to look for someone or some-

thing. Please go to the library and have

a look for a book about snakes. Take a

look for a man in a black suit. He is your

guide.

take a nap to have a brief period of sleep.

I took a short nap just after lunch.

The baby takes a long nap each afternoon.

take a new turn [for something] to begin

a new course or direction. When I re-

ceived the telegram with the exciting news,

my life took a new turn. I began taking

the medicine at noon, and by evening the

disease had begun to take a new turn. I

was getting better!

take an interest (in something) to develop

an interest in something. I wish John

would take an interest in his schoolwork.

We hoped you’d take an interest and join

our club.

take an oath to make an oath; to swear to

something. You must take an oath that

you will never tell anyone about this.

When I was a witness in court, I had to

take an oath that I would tell the truth.

take a nosedive Go to go into a nosedive.

take a peep Go to have a peep.

take a potshot at someone or something to

criticize someone or something; to in-

clude a criticism of someone or some-

thing in a broader or more general criti-

cism. Daily, the media took potshots at

the foolish politician. John is taking pot-

shots at me in his condemnation of office

workers.

take a powder to leave (a place); to sneak

out or run out (of a place). (Slang.)

When the police came to the door, Tom de-

cided it was time to take a powder. He left

by the back door. When the party got a

little dull, Bill and his friend took a

powder.

take a punch at someone to strike or strike

at someone with one’s fist. (Informal.)

Mary got so angry at Bob that she took a

punch at him. She took a punch at him,

but she missed.

take a rain check (on something) Go to get

a rain check (on something).

take a risk Go to take a chance.

take a shellacking Go to get a shellacking.

take a shine to someone or something Go to

take a fancy to someone or something.

take a shot at something Go to give something

a shot; take a try at something.

take a shower and take a bath to bathe.

I take a shower every morning. John

takes a hot bath to relax.

take a spill to have a fall; to tip over. (Also

with bad, nasty, quite, etc. Also with

have.) Ann tripped on the curb and took

a nasty spill. John had quite a spill when

he fell off his bicycle.

take a stab at something Go to take a try at

something.

take a stand (against someone or something)

to take a position in opposition to some-

one or something; to oppose or resist

someone or something. The treasurer

was forced to take a stand against the

board because of its wasteful spending.

The treasurer took a stand, and others

agreed.

take a toll the damage or wear that is

caused by using something or by hard liv-

ing. Years of sunbathing took a toll on

Mary’s skin. Drug abuse takes a heavy

toll on the lives of people.

take a try at something and take a shot at

something; take a stab at something; take

a whack at something to try to do some-

thing. (Also with have; see the variants at

have a try at something. The second, third,

and fourth entries can also be literal.)

I don’t know if I can eat a whole pizza, but

I’ll be happy to take a shot at it. I can’t

seem to get this computer to work right.

Would you like to take a try at it? Sure.

Take a stab at it. I don’t know if I can

do it or not, but I’ll take a whack at it.

take attendance to make a record of per-

sons attending something. The teacher

took attendance before starting the class.

I will take attendance each day.

take a turn for the better to start to im-

prove; to start to get well. (The opposite

of the following entry.) She was very

sick for a month; then suddenly she took

a turn for the better. Things are taking

a turn for the better at my store. I may

make a profit this year.

take a vacation to go somewhere for a va-

cation; to stop work to have a vacation.

Sue took a vacation at the Grand

Canyon last year. I need to take a va-

cation and relax.

Take a walk! Go to Go climb a tree!

take a whack at someone or something 1.

[with someone] (Slang. Whack is some-

times spelled wack. Also with have, as in

the examples below.) to hit at someone;

to hit someone. He took a whack at me,

so I punched him. Don’t try to take a

whack at me again! I’ll have a wack at

you! 2. [with something] Go to take a try

at something.

take care of someone or something 1. to deal

with someone or something; to handle or

manage someone or something. Would

you please take care of this little problem?

This is an easy thing to take care of. I

will fix it immediately. 2. to provide care

for someone or something. John and

Mary took care of their aged grandmother.

Please take care of my plants while I am

on vacation. 3. [with someone] to tip

someone. I took care of the doorman

as we left. Did you remember to take

care of the waiter? 4. [with someone] to

kill or dispose of someone. Max said

he was going to take care of Lefty once and

for all. The crime king ordered Max to

take care of a certain private detective.

take charge (of someone or something) to take

(over) control of someone or something.

The president came in late and took

charge of the meeting. When the new

manager took charge, things really began

to happen.

take cold Go to catch cold.

take digs at someone Go to take a dig at

someone.

take effect Go to go into effect.

take exception (to something) to disagree

with something (that someone has said).

I take exception to your remarks, and I

would like to discuss them with you. I’m

sorry you take exception. Let’s discuss the

matter.

take five to take a five-minute rest period.

(Slang.) Okay, everybody. Take five!

Hey, Bob. I’m tired. Can we take five?

take forty winks Go to catch forty winks.

take (great) pains (to do something) to

make a great effort to do something.

Tom took pains to decorate the room ex-

actly right. We took pains to get there on

time.

take heart to be brave; to have courage.

Take heart, John. Things could be worse!

I told her to take heart and try again

next time.

take heed to be cautious. Take heed, and

don’t get involved with the wrong kind of

people. Just take heed, and you’ll be safe.

take ill Go to take sick.

take inventory to make an inventory list.

They are taking inventory in the ware-

house, counting each item and writing the

number on a list. The hardware store

closed once a year in order to take

inventory.

take issue (with someone) to argue with

someone; to dispute a point with some-

one. I hate to take issue with you on

such a minor point, but I’m quite sure

you’re wrong. I don’t mind if you take

issue, but I’m sure I’m right.

take it away to start up a performance.

(Also literal. Typically a public an-

nouncement of the beginning of a mu-

sical performance. Slang.) And now,

here is the band playing “Song of Songs.”

Take it away! Sally will now sing us a

song. Take it away, Sally!

Take it easy. Good-bye and take care of

yourself. (Informal.) Bye, Tom. Take it

easy. Take it easy. I’ll see you later.

take it easy (on someone or something) 1. to

be gentle (with someone or something).

(See also go easy (on someone or some-

thing).) Take it easy on Mary. She’s been

sick. Please take it easy on the furniture.

It has to last us many years. Take it easy!

You will break the chair! 2. [with some-

thing] to use less of something (rather

than more). (Informal.) Take it easy on

the soup. There’s just enough for one serv-

ing for each person. Please take it easy!

There are hardly any left.

take it on the chin to experience and en-

dure a direct blow or assault. The bad

news was a real shock, and John took it on

the chin. The worst luck comes my way,

and I always end up taking it on the chin.

take it or leave it to accept something (the

way it is) or forget it. (Informal.) This

is my last offer. Take it or leave it. It’s

not much, but it’s the only food we have.

You can take it or leave it.

take it slow to move or go slowly. (Infor-

mal.) The road is rough, so take it slow.

This book is very hard to read, and I

have to take it slow.

take it to one’s grave to carry a secret with

one until one dies. I will never tell any-

one. I’ll take your secret to my grave. She

took the answer to the mystery to her

grave.

take it (up)on oneself (to do something) to

make something one’s responsibility.

I took it upon myself to order more pen-

cils since we were running out of them.

I’m glad that you took it on yourself to do

that.

take kindly to something to be agreeable to

something. My father doesn’t take

kindly to anyone using his tools. I hope

they’ll take kindly to our request.

take leave of one’s senses to become ir-

rational. (Often verbatim with one’s.)

What are you doing? Have you taken leave

of your senses? What a terrible situa-

tion! It’s enough to make one take leave of

one’s senses.

take liberties with someone or something and

make free with someone or something to

use or abuse someone or something.

You are overly familiar with me, Mr. Jones.

One might think you were taking liberties

with me. I don’t like it when you make

free with my lawn mower. You should at

least ask when you want to borrow it.

take no stock in something and not take

stock in something to pay no attention to

something; not to believe or accept some-

thing. I take no stock in anything John

has to say. He doesn’t take stock in your

opinions either.

take note (of something) to observe and re-

member something. Please take note of

the point I’m about to make.

something else of which you should take

note.

take notice (of something) to observe some-

thing. I didn’t take notice of when he

came in. They say he came in late, but

I didn’t take notice.

take off 1. to leave the ground and begin

to fly. (As with a bird or an airplane.)

When do we take off ? The eagle took

off and headed toward the mountains. 2.

to become popular and successful. Her

book really took off after her television ap-

pearance. The idea took off, and soon

everyone was talking about it.

take off (after someone or something) and

take out (after someone or something) to

begin to chase someone or something.

The bank guard took off after the robber.

Did you see that police car take off ?

It took out after the bank robber’s car.

take offense (at someone or something) to be-

come resentful of someone or something.

Bill took offense at Mary for her

thoughtless remarks. Almost everyone

took offense at Bill’s new book. I’m sorry

you took offense. I meant no harm.

take off (from work) not to go to work

(for a period of time). I had to take off

from work in order to renew my driver’s li-

cense. I hate to take off for something

like that.

take office to begin serving as an elected

or appointed official. When did the

mayor take office? All the elected offi-

cials took office just after the election.

take off one’s hat (to someone) to offer

praise for someone’s good accomplish-

ments. (Refers to taking off one’s hat to

show deference to someone.) I have to

take off my hat to Mayor Johnson. She has

done an excellent job. Yes, we all ought

to take off our hats. She is our best mayor

of the economy. When he launches forth,

I leave the room.

take one at one’s word to believe what

someone says and act accordingly. She

told me to go jump in the lake, and I took

her at her word. You shouldn’t take her

at her word. She frequently says things she

doesn’t really mean.

take one’s break Go to take a break.

take one’s cue from someone to use some-

one else’s behavior or reactions as a guide

to one’s own. (From the theatrical cue as

a signal to speak, etc.) If you don’t

know which spoons to use at the dinner,

just take your cue from John. The other

children took their cue from Tommy and

ignored the new boy.

take one’s death of cold Go to catch one’s

death (of cold).

take (one’s) leave (of someone) to say good-

bye to someone and leave. I took leave

of the hostess at an early hour. One by

one, the guests took their leave.

take one’s medicine to accept the punish-

ment or the bad fortune that one de-

serves. (Also literal. Informal.) I know

I did wrong, and I know I have to take my

medicine. Billy knew he was going to get

spanked, and he didn’t want to take his

medicine.

take one’s own life to kill oneself; to com-

mit suicide. Bob tried to take his own

life, but he was stopped in time. Later,

he was sorry that he had tried to take his

own life.

take one’s time to use as much time (to do

something) as one wants. There is no

hurry. Please take your time. If you take

your time, you’ll be late.

take out (after someone or something) Go to

take off (after someone or something).

take out a loan to get a loan of money,

especially from a bank. Mary took out

a loan to buy a car. We will have to take

out a loan to pay the bills this month.

take part (in something) to participate in

something. They invited me to take

part in their celebration. I was quite

pleased to take part.

take pity (on someone or something) to feel

sorry for someone or something. We

took pity on the hungry people and gave

them some warm food. She took pity on

the little dog and brought it in to get warm.

Please take pity! Please help us!

take place to happen. When will this

party take place? It’s taking place right

now.

take precedence over someone or something

Go to have precedence over someone or

something.

take pride in something to do something

with pride; to have pride for or about

something. The union workers took

pride in their work. The artist took pride

in her paintings.

No comments:

Post a Comment