Sunday 2 May 2010

N




nail in someone’s or something’s coffin Go to


(another) nail in someone’s or something’s


coffin.


nail someone or something down 1. [with


someone] to get a firm and final decision


from someone (on something). (Also lit-


eral. Informal.) I want you to find Bob


and get an answer from him. Nail him


down one way or the other. T Please nail


down John on the question of signing the


contract. 2. [with something] to get a firm


and final decision (from someone) on


something. (Informal.) T Find Bob and


nail down an answer. Let’s get in touch


with John and nail down this contract.


naked as a jaybird Go to (as) naked as a


jaybird.


the naked eye the human eye, unassisted


by optics, such as a telescope, micro-


scope, or spectacles. I can’t see the


bird’s markings with the naked eye. The


scientist could see nothing in the liquid


with the naked eye, but with the aid of a


microscope, she identified the bacteria.


That’s how it appears to the naked eye.


[name is mud] Go to one’s name is mud.


the name of the game goal or purpose.


(Slang.) The name of the game is sell.


You must sell, sell, sell if you want to make


a living. Around here, the name of the


game is look out for yourself.


name someone after someone else and


name someone for someone else to give


someone (usually a baby) the name of


another person. We named our baby af-


ter my aunt. My parents named me for


my grandfather.


name someone for someone else Go to name


someone after someone else.


near at hand close or handy (to someone).


(See also at hand; close at hand.) Do


you have a pencil near at hand? My dic-


tionary isn’t near at hand.


neat as a pin Go to (as) neat as a pin.


neck and neck exactly even, especially in


a race or a contest. (Informal.) John


and Tom finished the race neck and neck.


Mary and Ann were neck and neck in


the spelling contest. Their scores were tied.


need something like a hole in the head not


to need something at all. (Informal.)


I need a housecat like I need a hole in the


head! She needs a car like she needs a


hole in the head.


need something yesterday to require some-


thing in a very big hurry. (Informal.)


Yes, I’m in a hurry! I need it yesterday!


When do I need it? Now! Now! No, I need


it yesterday!


neither fish nor fowl not any recognizable


thing; not any recognizable category.


The car that they drove up in was neither


fish nor fowl. It must have been made out


of spare parts. This proposal is neither


fish nor fowl. I can’t tell what you’re


proposing.


neither here nor there of no consequence


or meaning; irrelevant and immaterial.


Whether you go to the movie or stay at


home is neither here nor there. Your


comment—though interesting—is neither


here nor there.


neither hide nor hair no sign or indica-


tion (of someone or something). We


could find neither hide nor hair of him. I


don’t know where he is. There has been


no one here—neither hide nor hair—for


the last three days.


never fear do not worry; have confidence.


I’ll be there on time—never fear.


help you, never fear.


never had it so good Go to (have) never


had it so good.


never in one’s life not in one’s experience.


Never in my life have I been so insulted!


He said that never in his life had he seen


such an ugly painting.


never mind forget it; pay no more atten-


tion (to something). I wanted to talk to


you, but never mind. It wasn’t important.


Never mind. I’m sorry to bother you.


never would have guessed 1. never


would have thought something to be the


case. (Not used in other tenses.)


was the one who did it? I never would have


guessed. I never would have guessed that


he wanted the job. He kept it a very good


secret. 2. knew it all the time because it


was so obvious. (Sarcastic. Not used in


other tenses.) I never would have


guessed that he wanted the job. He only


begged and begged for it. Now she wants


to go back home? I never would have


guessed! She has been homesick for days.


new ball game Go to (whole) new ball


game.


new blood Go to (some) new blood.


new hire a person who has recently been


hired; a newly employed person. Anne


is our new hire who will begin work Tues-


day. The accounting department is full


of new hires.


a new lease on life a renewed and revi-


talized outlook on life. Getting the job


offer was a new lease on life. When I


got out of the hospital, I felt as if I had a


new lease on life.


new to (all) this Go to (a little) new to (all)


this.


next-door neighbor the person living in


the house or apartment closest to one’s


own. My next-door neighbor came over


to borrow a shovel. I will be visiting our


next-door neighbor if you need me.


or relatives. The police notified the dead


man’s next of kin. My next of kin lives


800 miles away.


next to nothing hardly anything; almost


nothing. This car’s worth next to noth-


ing. It’s full of rust. I bought this antique


chair for next to nothing.


next to someone or something near to someone


or something; adjacent to someone or


something. I live next to a bank.


Please sit next to me.


nice and some quality enough of some qual-


ity; adequately; sufficiently. It is nice


and cool this evening. I think your steak


is nice and done now and probably


overcooked.


nickel and dime someone to charge some-


one many small amounts of money; to


assess many small fees against someone.


We will not stay at that resort again.


They nickel and dime you to death in that


place. There is a charge for everything.


Tuition at the university hasn’t gone up in


two years but other small fees have. They


really nickel and dime you there.


night and day Go to day and night.


a night on the town a night of celebrat-


ing (at one or more places in a town).


Did you enjoy your night on the town?


After we got the contract signed, we cele-


brated with a night on the town.


night owl someone who usually stays up


very late. (Preceded by be, become, seem


like, or act like.) Anne’s a real night owl.


She never goes to bed before 2 a.m. and


sleeps till noon. Jack’s a night owl and


is at his best after midnight.


a nine days’ wonder something that is of


interest to people only for a short time.


Don’t worry about the story about you


in the newspaper. It’ll be a nine days’ won-


der, and then people will forget. The


elopement of Jack and Anne was a nine


days’ wonder. Now people never mention


a nine-to-five job a job with regular and


normal hours. I wouldn’t want a nine-


to-five job. I like the freedom I have as my


own boss. I used to work nights, but now


I have a nine-to-five job.


nip and tuck almost even; almost tied. (In-


formal.) The horses ran nip and tuck for


the first half of the race. Then my horse


pulled ahead. In the football game last


Saturday, both teams were nip and tuck


throughout the game.


nip something in the bud to put an end to


something at an early stage. (Also literal.)


John is getting into bad habits, and it’s


best to nip them in the bud. There was


trouble in the classroom, but the teacher


nipped it in the bud.


No big deal! Not a big problem! (Infor-


mal.) It didn’t hurt. No big deal! It


isn’t a problem. No big deal!


no buts about it Go to no ifs, ands, or buts


about it.


No can do. It can’t be done.; I can’t do it.


(Slang.) Sorry, John. No can do. I can’t


sell you this one. I’ve promised it to Mrs.


Smith. BILL: Please fix this clock today.


BOB: No can do. It’ll take a week to get the


parts.


No comment. I have nothing to say on this


matter. Q: When did you stop beating


your dog? A: No comment. Q: Georgie,


did you chop down the cherry tree? A: No


comment.


no doubt surely; without a doubt; un-


doubtedly. He will be here again to-


morrow, no doubt. No doubt you will re-


quire a ride home?


no end of something lots of something. (In-


formal.) It was a wonderful banquet.


They had no end of good food. Tom is


a real problem. He’s no end of trouble.


no flies on someone someone is not slow;


someone is not wasting time. (Refers to


a person moving too fast to allow flies to


light.) Of course I work fast. I go as fast


as I can. There are no f lies on me. There


are no f lies on Robert. He does his work


very fast and very well.


no great shakes nothing important or


worth noticing. (Slang.) It’s okay, but


it’s no great shakes. I like John, but he’s


no great shakes when it comes to sports.


no hard feelings no anger or resentment.


(Informal. No can be replaced with any.)


I hope you don’t have any hard feelings.


No, I have no hard feelings.


No harm done. It is all right. No one or


nothing has been harmed. (Informal.)


It’s okay. No harm done. A: I am sorry


I stepped on your toe. B: No harm done.


no holds barred with no restraints. (Slang.


From wrestling.) I intend to argue it out


with Mary, no holds barred. When Ann


negotiates a contract, she goes in with no


holds barred and comes out with a good


contract.


no ifs, ands, or buts about it and no


buts about it absolutely no discussion,


dissension, or doubt about something.


I want you there exactly at eight, no ifs,


ands, or buts about it. This is the best


television set available for the money, no


buts about it.


no joke a serious matter. (Informal.) It’s


no joke when you miss the last train. It’s


certainly no joke when you have to walk


home.


no kidding [spoken] honestly; [someone


is] not joking or lying. (Slang.) No kid-


ding, you really got an A in geometry?


I really did, no kidding.


no laughing matter a serious matter. Be


serious. This is no laughing matter. This


disease is no laughing matter. It’s quite


deadly.


no love lost (between someone and some-


one else) no friendship wasted between


someone and someone else (because they


are enemies). Ever since their big argu-


ment, there has been no love lost between


Tom and Bill. You can tell by the way


that Jane is acting toward Ann that there


is no love lost.


no matter what happens in any event;


without regard to what happens (in the


future). We’ll be there on time, no mat-


ter what. No matter what happens, we’ll


still be friends.


No news is good news. If one has not had


any information about someone or some-


thing for some time, it means that all is


well, since one would have heard if any-


thing bad or unfortunate had occurred


(Proverb.) I haven’t heard from my son


since he left for college, but I suppose no


news is good news. I think Joan would


have heard by now if she hadn’t got the job.


No news is good news.


no point in something no purpose in doing


something. There is no point in lock-


ing the barn door now that the horse has


been stolen. There’s no point is crying


over spilled milk.


no problem Go to no sweat.


no skin off someone’s nose Go to no skin


off someone’s teeth.


no skin off someone’s teeth and no skin


off someone’s nose no difficulty for some-


one; no concern of someone.


skin off my nose if she wants to act that


way. She said it was no skin off her teeth


if we wanted to sell the house.


no sooner said than done <an expression


indicating that something has been done


quickly and obediently.> When Sally


asked for someone to open the window, it


was no sooner said than done. As Jane


opened the window, she said, “No sooner


said than done.”


no spring chicken not young (anymore).


(Informal.) I don’t get around very well


anymore. I’m no spring chicken, you know.


Even though John is no spring chicken,


he still plays tennis twice a week.


no sweat and no problem no difficulty;


do not worry. (Slang.) Of course I can


have your car repaired by noon. No sweat.


You’d like a red one? No problem.


no trespassing do not enter. (Usually seen


on a sign. Not usually spoken.) The


sign on the tree said, “No Trespassing.” So


we didn’t go in. The angry farmer


chased us out of the field shouting, “Get


out! Don’t you see the no trespassing sign?”


no two ways about it no choice about it;


no other interpretation of it. (Folksy.


Note the form there’s rather than there


are.) You have to go to the doctor


whether you like it or not. There’s no two


ways about it. This letter means you’re


in trouble with the tax people. There’s no


two ways about it.


no-win situation a situation where there


is no correct or satisfactory solution.


The general was too weak to fight and too


proud to surrender. It was a no-win situ-


ation. The huge dog my father gave us


as a gift eats too much. If we get rid of the


dog, my father will be insulted. If we keep


it, we will go broke buying food for it. This


is a classic no-win situation.


no wonder [something is] not surprising.


(Informal.) No wonder the baby is cry-


ing. She’s wet. It’s no wonder that plant


died. You watered it too much.


nobody’s fool a sensible and wise person


who is not easily deceived. Mary’s no-


body’s fool. She knows Jack would try to


cheat her. Anne looks as though she’s not


very bright, but she’s nobody’s fool.


nod off to fall asleep, usually while sitting


up. (Informal.) Jack nodded off during


the minister’s sermon. Father always


nods off after Sunday lunch.


none of someone’s beeswax none of some-


one’s business (Slang.) The answer to


that question is none of your beeswax.


It’s none of your beeswax what I do with


my spare time.


none of someone’s business not of some-


one’s concern. (A gentle rebuke.) Q:


When are you going to leave for home? A:


None of your business. How I manage


to keep thin is none of your business.


none other than someone the very person.


The new building was opened by none


other than the mayor. Jack’s wife turned


out to be none other than my cousin.


none the wiser not knowing any more.


I was none the wiser about the project af-


ter the lecture. It was a complete waste of


time. Anne tried to explain the situation


tactfully to Jack, but in the end, he was


none the wiser.


none the worse for wear no worse be-


cause of use or effort. I lent my car to


John. When I got it back, it was none the


worse for wear. I had a hard day today,


but I’m none the worse for wear.


none too something not very something; not


at all something. The towels in the


bathroom were none too clean.


none too warm in their house.


nose about Go to nose around.


nose around and nose about to investi-


gate; to check (into something). (Infor-


mal.) I don’t have an answer to your


question, but I’ll nose around and see what


I can find out. I’ll nose about, too. Who


knows what we’ll find out?


nose in(to something) to move into some-


thing, front end first. Slowly the car


nosed into its parking place. You must


nose in very carefully.


[nose is in the air] Go to one’s nose is in


the air.


nose someone out to push someone away;


to exclude someone. Where I work


someone is always trying to nose me out.


I’d hate to lose my job. T John nosed out


Bill from the team.















miss out (on something) and lose out (on


something) to fail to participate in some-


thing; to fail to take part in something.


I’m sorry I missed out on the ice cream.


I lost out on it, too. We both missed out.


miss (something) by a mile to fail to hit


something by a great distance; to land


wide of the mark. Ann shot the arrow


and missed the target by a mile. “Good


grief, you missed by a mile,” shouted Sally.


miss the boat to miss out (on something);


to be ignorant (of something). (Also lit-


eral. Slang.) Pay attention, John, or


you’ll miss the boat. Tom really missed


the boat when it came to making friends.


miss the point to fail to understand the


important part of something. (Also lit-


eral.) I’m afraid you missed the point.


Let me explain it again. You keep ex-


plaining, and I keep missing the point.


[mission in life] Go to someone’s mission in


life.


mistake someone for someone else and mix


someone up with someone else to confuse


someone with someone else; to think that


one person is another person. I’m


sorry. I mistook you for John. Tom is al-


ways mistaking Bill for me. We don’t look


a thing alike, though. Try not to mix Bill


up with Bob.


mix and match 1. to assemble a limited


number of items, usually clothing, in a


number of different ways. Alice was


very good at mixing and matching her


skirts, blouses, and sweaters so that she al-


ways could be attractively dressed on a


limited budget. Gary always bought


black, blue, and gray trousers and shirts


so he could mix and match without too


many bad combinations. 2. to select a


number of items from an assortment, of-


ten in order to get a quantity discount.


(As opposed to getting a quantity dis-


count for buying a lot of only one item.)


The candles were 25 percent off, and you


could mix and match colors, sizes, and


I found a good sale on shirts.


They were four for fifty dollars, and the


store would let you mix and match.


mix it up to argue or fight. (Also literal.


Slang.) First they were just talking, then


suddenly one of them got mad and they


really began to mix it up. Look at you,


Bill! Your face is bleeding. Have you been


mixing it up with John again?


mix someone or something up 1. to confuse


two things or two people with each other.


Please don’t mix these ideas up. They


are quite distinct. T I always mix up Bill


and Bob. Why do you mix them up? 2.


[with someone] to cause someone to be


confused or puzzled. I’m confused as


it is. Don’t mix me up anymore. T They


mixed up my uncle by giving him too


many things to remember. 3. [with some-


thing] to blend the ingredients of some-


thing; to assemble and mix the parts of


something. (Usually refers to fluid mat-


ter such as paint, gasoline, or milk.)


The glue will be ready to use as soon as I


mix it up. T Now, mix up the eggs, water,


and salt; then add the mixture to the flour


and sugar.


mix someone up with someone else Go to


mistake someone for someone else.


a mixed bag a varied collection of people


or things. (Refers to a bag of game


brought home after a day’s hunting.)


The new students in my class are a mixed


bag—some bright, some positively stupid.


The furniture I bought is a mixed bag.


Some of it is valuable and the rest is


worthless.


the moment everyone has been waiting


for Go to the big moment.


the moment of truth the point at which


someone has to face the reality or facts of


a situation. The moment of truth is


here. Turn over your test papers and begin.


Now for the moment of truth when we


find out whether we have got permission


or not.


Money burns a hole in someone’s pocket.


Someone spends as much money as pos-


sible. (Proverb. See also have money to


burn.) Sally can’t seem to save anything.


Money burns a hole in her pocket.


money burns a hole in your pocket, you


never have any for emergencies.


Money is no object. and Expense is no


object. It does not matter how much


something costs. Please show me your


finest automobile. Money is no object.


I want the finest earrings you have. Don’t


worry about how much they cost because


expense is no object.


Money is the root of all evil. Money is the


basic cause of all wrongdoing. (Proverb.


The full version is The love of money is the


root of all evil.) Why do you work so


hard to make money? It will just cause you


trouble. Money is the root of all evil.


Any thief in prison can tell you that money


is the root of all evil.


money talks money gives one power and


influence to help get things done or get


one’s own way. (Informal.) Don’t


worry. I have a way of getting things done.


Money talks. I can’t compete against


rich old Mrs. Jones. She’ll get her way be-


cause money talks.


monkey around (with someone or something)


Go to mess around (with someone or some-


thing).


monkey business playful or out of the or-


dinary activities; mischievous or illegal


activities. There’s been some monkey


business in connection with the bank’s ac-


counts. Bob left the company quite sud-


denly. I think there was some monkey busi-


ness between him and the boss’s wife.


monkey suit a tuxedo. (Jocular. Possibly


alluding to the fancy suit worn by an or-


gan grinder’s monkey.) Do I have to


wear a monkey suit to dinner? All the


men except me wore monkey suits at din-


ner on the cruise.


months running Go to days running.


mop the floor up with someone to over-


whelm and physically subdue someone;


to beat someone. (Slang. See also wipe up


the floor with someone.) Stop talking like


that, or I’ll mop the f loor up with you! T


Did you hear that? He threatened to mop


up the f loor with me!


mope around to go about in a depressed


state. (Informal.) Since her dog ran


away, Sally mopes around all day. Don’t


mope around. Cheer up!


more and more an increasing amount; ad-


ditional amounts. As I learn more and


more, I see how little I know. Dad seems


to be smoking more and more lately.


more dead than alive exhausted; in very


bad condition; near death. (Almost al-


ways an exaggeration.) We arrived at


the top of the mountain more dead than


alive. The marathon runners stumbled


one by one over the finish line, more dead


than alive.


more fun than a barrel of monkeys Go


to (as) funny as a barrel of monkeys.


more often than not usually. These


f lowers will live through the winter more


often than not. This kind of dog will


grow up to be a good watchdog more of-


ten than not.


more someone or something than one can


shake a stick at a lot; too many to


count. (Folksy.) There were more snakes


than you could shake a stick at. There


are lots of f lowers in the field—more than


one can shake a stick at.


more than one can bear and more than


one can take; more than one can stand


more of something, such as trouble or


something bad, than a person can en-


dure. This news is more than I can bear!


I’ve heard enough of this horrid music.


It’s more than I can stand.


more than one can stand Go to more than


one can bear.


more than one can take Go to more than


one can bear.


the more the merrier the more people


there are, the happier they will be. Of


course you can have a ride with us! The


more the merrier. The manager hired a


new employee even though there’s not


enough work for all of us now. Oh, well,


the more the merrier.


the morning after (the night before) the


morning after a night spent drinking,


when one has a hangover. Oh, I’ve got


a headache. Talk about the morning after


the night before! It looked like a case of


the morning after the night before, and


Frank asked for some aspirin.


move heaven and earth to do something to


make a major effort to do something.


“I’ll move heaven and earth to be with you,


Mary,” said Bill. I had to move heaven


and earth to get there on time. Your fa-


ther and I had to move heaven and earth


to pay for your braces and your college bills,


and what thanks do we get?


move in (on someone or something) 1. [with


someone] to attempt to displace someone


or take over someone’s property, inter-


ests, or relationships. (Slang, especially


criminal slang. Compare this with mus-


cle in (on someone or something).) Look


here, pal, Sally’s my girl. Are you trying to


move in on me? It looks like the south-


side gang is trying to move in. We’ll have


to teach them a lesson. 2. [with someone]


to move into someone’s household. My


mother-in-law moved in on us for two


months. I wouldn’t move in on you


without an invitation. 3. to move closer


to someone or something, especially with


a camera. Now, slowly move in on the


cereal box. This will be a great advertise-


ment. Hold the camera very steady and


move in on the baby.


move into something to get started in a new


enterprise, job, etc. (Also literal.)


moved into a new job last week. It’s very


exciting work. John moved into a new


line of work, too.


move up (in the world) to advance (one-


self ) and become successful. The


harder I work, the more I move up in the


world. Keep your eye on John. He’s really


moving up.


movers and shakers people who get


things done; people who are productive


and cause other people to be productive;


people who create and produce. The


trouble with the ABC Company is that all


the movers and shakers are leaving to take


jobs elsewhere. It seems as if all the


movers and shakers of the world are em-


ployed by a very small number of large


firms.


much ado about nothing a lot of excite-


ment about nothing. (This is the title of


a play by Shakespeare. Do not confuse


ado with adieu.) All the commotion


about the new tax law turned out to be


much ado about nothing. Your promises


always turn out to be much ado about


nothing.


much in evidence very visible or evident.


John was much in evidence during the


conference. Your inf luence is much in


evidence. I appreciate your efforts.


much sought after wanted or desired very


much; highly desirable. This kind of


crystal is much sought after. It’s very rare.


Sally is a great singer. She’s much sought


after.


muddy the water to make something less


clear; to make matters confusing; to cre-


ate difficulty where there was none be-


fore. (Also literal.) Things were going


along quite smoothly until you came along


and muddied the water. The events of


the past month have muddied the water as


far as our proposed joint venture is


concerned.


muff one’s lines Go to fluff one’s lines.


mull something over to think about some-


thing; to ponder or worry about some-


thing. That’s an interesting idea, but I’ll


have to mull it over. T I’ll mull over your


suggestions and report to you next week.


mum’s the word don’t spread the secret.


Don’t tell anyone what I told you. Re-


member, mum’s the word. Okay, mum’s


the word. Your secret is safe with me.


murder on something very destructive or


harmful to something. Running a mar-


athon is murder on your knees. This dry


weather is murder on my crops.


muscle in (on someone or something) to try


forcefully to displace someone or take


over someone’s property, interests, or re-


lationships. (Slang, especially criminal


slang. Compare this with move in (on


someone or something).) Are you trying to


muscle in on my scheme? If you try to


muscle in, you’ll be facing big trouble.


a must something that you must do. (In-


formal. Preceded by be, become, or seem


like.) When you’re in San Francisco, see


the Golden Gate Bridge. It’s a must. It’s


a must that you brush your teeth after


every meal.


muster (up) one’s courage to build up


one’s courage; to call or bring forth one’s


courage. I mustered my courage and


dove from the high diving board. He


had to muster up all his courage in order


to attend the dance.


my gut tells me (that) something is so my in-


stincts tell me that something is so. (This


refers to one’s gut reaction or gut response,


that is, the way someone feels about


something.) My gut tells me that her


idea is a sound one. This looks good on


paper, but my gut tells me that it is all


wrong.


my one and only one’s spouse. (Informal.


See also the one and only.) Look at the


time. I’ve got to get home to my one and


only. You’re my one and only. There is


no one else for me.











No comments:

Post a Comment