Wednesday 30 June 2010

After all

After all gives the idea that one thing was expected, but the opposite happened.
It means 'Although we expected something different'.

  • I'm sorry. I thought I could come and see you this evening, but I'm not free after all

  • I expected to fail the exam, but I passed after all


Position: usually at the end of the clause.

We can also use after all to mean 'We mustn't forget that ... '
It is used to introduce a good reason or an important argument which people seem to have forgotten.

  • It's not surprising you're hungry. After all, you didn't have breakfast.

  • I think we should go and see Granny. After all she only lives ten miles away, and we haven't seen her for ages.


Position: usually at the beginning of the clause.

No comments:

Post a Comment